For this week’s blog, I will take an
alternative approach. Among the assignments for this module were to create a
quiz using Google Forms, create a newsletter, a presentation, and a calendar
using Google Drive, with the focus being music assessment and administrative
and personal productivity tools.
After completing the given assignments
using Google tools, I found myself searching for additional Google tools that
may be useful for me. The reason being that these were all so easy to use,
accessible, and would not only assist me with assessment, but make a huge
impact on my personal and professional productivity. I am seasoned enough to
remember well how difficult it was for teachers to gain access to copying technology
– pre-copier days! While in elementary school, I helped teachers by using the
mimeograph machine, and the distinctive odor of the chemical mixture. In the
past 10-15 years, I have largely ignored the personal and professional
productivity tools available, mainly due to my assumption that such tools would
be cost-prohibitive, as they once were.
This week’s blog is necessarily brief
because of time constraints. I have two meaty projects due, a late start on
both of them, and one of the three days remaining before these projects are due
already committed to traveling.
I feel compelled to comment on the evolution of my
personal attitudes toward this course. From the very outset
of the course, the necessity to learn a multitude of new software became
apparent. During a discussion with my dearest friend who is the same age as I
am, I remember making the comment that “I am too old for all of this!” with her
reply empathizing with my mindset. In my younger years, I embraced any new
technology to which I could gain access, but as I became more comfortable with
the knowledge base I had acquired, at a certain point new tools seemed more of
a burden than of a benefit. In particular, the advent of the Blackberry and the
prevalent use of it for calendar purposes by most of the professional parents
of my students is memorable. My calendar was a simple unzip, open, and view or
write; theirs was a series of navigation on a tiny device that took them a
great deal longer to record an event than did my device.
Practice at a given task causes one to
become more facile with the task. So it is with learning new software or
internet tools. My attitude of “not four more
programs to learn!” has morphed into an attitude of eager anticipation. I am
truly excited about using Google Classroom to manage my class piano teaching!
What an excellent tool that will be; and three months ago I never would have
dreamed that it would be so very easy to do. Instead of the technology being
more cumbersome and time-consuming, as it was in the first years of the
Blackberry, the available technology is not only far more user-friendly, but is
either free or very low cost. After a brief hiccup of more than a decade, I’m
welcoming myself to the 21st century.
No comments:
Post a Comment